Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tony Dean Outdoors

Tony Dean Outdoors
Conservation Issues
An Appropriate Response
Editor's Note: We received the following email from Jack Lorenz, the outstanding and longtime Executive Director of the Izaak Walton League of America. It's a great story...so good that I asked Jack's permission to reprint it here...and he graciously agreed. (Tony) Tony: I must tell you of one of my most memorable moments in conservation -- Do you remember Joe Linduska? Joe was a recipient of OWAA's Jade of Chief's Award, our highest conservation honor for communications, but he was also a winner of the Wildlife's Society's highest honor, the Aldo Leopold award, which is presented at the Society's annual banquet. That event closes the North American Wildlife Conference every March. Like the Jade of Chiefs award, the honoree's name is a secret until the banquet presentation. In March of '82, I was at the head table (Where all CEOs of conservation organizations are traditionally ensconced for the evening) and TWS president began to read the litany of accomplishments of the soon to be announced honoree. About halfway throughthe presentation, most of us had turned to watch Joe as his career was well known and he was a favorite of everyone in the room. It was one of those honors no one could argue with. When Joe's name was called, we all stood and gave him a standing ovation. Seated in the middle of the room, Joe, with his ever present pipe, strolled slowly towards the dais, taking time to shake hands with all seated there. Once at the microphone, Joe, sans emotion, gazed out over the then hushed crowd and turned his head very slowly side to side. He was trying to catch the eye of each person in the room. After a good two minutes, he bent for ward and spoke slowly and very clearly into the mike. He said, "Well...Its...about...goddamn....time!" The room erupted. People were on their feet clapping, hooting and even crying with joy. I was one of the cheerleaders. No one, other than Joe, who was always making people laugh and who looked like a bushy-browed Russian Commissar, could have pulled that off. Here it is, nearly 20 years later and I still laugh each time I think of that evening. I only wish I had the guts to do the same when I received the few awards I have on my wall. Joe passed away seven or eight years ago and was Lonnie Williamson's best friend. Joe will always be one of my all-time heroes. Man, could he write about the great outdoors! Just had to share that with you, Tony. Regards, Jack Lorenz

No comments:

Post a Comment