Thursday, March 19, 2009

Stories 1.0

""1957 "Coronation court" at Webster Groves High. Jack, top row 4th from right; Wagner 3rd from right; Lang, 4th from left; 2nd row, L to R, Whitehead, Oliver, Hawkins (infamous); "King Fin" on right.""

" Steve Lang wearing Jack's mask which he called "The Face." Jack once wore it when Cy was driving in south St. Louis. We noticed Stan Musial at a light next to us and Jack rolled down his window and said "Hi Stan," who cracked up in laughter."


[Fwd: Re: cars of our youth]The attached came from Pete Straub and Cy Perkins. Be sure to play the attachments. It is the result of an email I sent telling of being arrested thrice -- once going 134mph on the Oklahoma turnpike, once doing 95 through Talequah,OK at 2:30 a.m. and once doing 104 near Springfield, MO. All happened on the same weekend. It was on a trip from My home in a St. Louis suburb to _Dallas_ to see my then current girlfriend who was in college there. The time was June, 1958. I was 19. I told my mom I was going fishing and would be back Sunday, It was Friday afternoon. I was in the drag racing Chevy of My sister's boy friend. We left my home about six in th evening. We arrived home Sunday about the same time. There was hardly a moment that we didn' exceed 100 mph.



SAME STORY :)


you'll find this hard to believe, but on a Fall weekend in 1958, I was a driver-passenger in a souped up drag racer that was stopped for speeding three times -- once for doing 134 mph on the OK turnpike, once for doing 95 through downtown Talequah, OK and once for doing 104 near Springfield, MO. I was behind the wheel in the latter case. On Friday p.m. I'd told my mom we were going just going fishing and would be back Sunday afternoon. In actuality, we were headed for dates in _Dallas _I was going with a high school classmate who was attending Texas Womens U. about 30 miles north of big D. We were supposed to go to the Texas State Fair on Saturday. We made it --and we got back on time! l--Forwarded Message Attachment--From:

Subject: RE: cars of our youthDate: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:43:24 -0400 I have only a vague recollection of such things in Webster, but I drove acar back from LA for a family friend and stopped in Albuquerque for thenight. There was a huge auto show in town and I went to it. My eyes poppedout of my head. All those cars looked just like the ones in movies. I canstill remember the chopped tops that left about six inches of wind shield,and all the chrome and high gloss paint. I was mesmerized and became moreand more thankful for growing up in the Groves. Thanks for sharing, Cy. Pete Some of our cars and music. http://thefiftiesandsixties.com/CarsWeDrove.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment